Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Life iwth Chrlie and PATTY!

The husband made a mistake yesterday and mentioned that we really shouldn't wait till Charlie was much bigger to get him a brother. Charlie was driving our older than dirt, lighter than air cat crazy with his need to play and so, the husband, quite off handedly, suggested I start looking. Less than half an hour later I was furiously emailing a craigslister who had a girl for adoption, younger than Charlie, a chocolate lab, shepherd mix while Charlie is a black lab shepherd mix. I had told Kelly (the foster mom) all about my loss of Ollie and Rocco and how ill Charlie had been. It seems that Kelly lost an old dog of her own to lymphoma within the year and a foster puppy that she had named Charlie to distemper. So the puppy was ours. We left the office almost immediately and off we went battling beltway traffic that is awful even when

We get to Kelly's to find the smallest, daintiest little girl ever. She's hardly the size of a chihuahua, thin as a whippet and reminds us all of a small greyhound. Patty came to me immediately, which found favor with Kelly and I let the Hysband do the talking while I adored the puppy.

Like Charlie,, Patty was a rescue from a high kill shelter down south. So again I get a puppy and a rescued dog and while my heart breaks for the older rescues, I deserve puppies... yes I said it... and since these will probably be the last puppies I ever bring home... I'm no spring chicken... I should have puppies. Besides we tithe to charities each month and one of the charities is Animal Rescue.

We were told that Patty was a bit timid and that she was anxious because her brothers had been adopted the day before leaving her behind. Well. she wasn't left behind any more.

We avoided the beltway on the way home and so it took longer, tho not by much because we WERE nearing rush hour and I held her the whole way. She readily made herself comfortable, sprawled across the rocky mountains of my chest and tucked her head against my neck and slept.

There is something very moving about the trust an animal gives you. I never know what I do to deserve such an honor but I cherish and, yes, savor it, each time it happens.

When we got home, Older son let charlie out so he could greet me while the husband carried Patty into the house. I thought Charlie was going to go out of his mind with joy when he saw that we brought him a puppy. Come on. How many puppies do you know whose parent buys him a puppy?

As for timid Patty....HA! Timid was only a disguise she quickly shed. She's the boss and told Charlie so in no uncertain terms. Charlie didn't care, he gave her his goofiest grin, tripped over his own feet a couple of times and managed to send hard dog and cat food flying.

I've never known dogs who used their paws much like a cat would. Charlie does it but I thought it was just a Charlie thing. Nope Patty does it too and for a moment there they actually looked as if they were boxing. Oldest son has a tradition of sleeping with w new pet on the couch the first night, only Patty followed Charlie into the bedroom leaving Josh asleep on the couch. Of course, they got up WAYYYYY too early this morning but there is a certain delight in puppy breath in your face first thing in the morning, especially since they just came in from outside and want to tell you all about it.

Patty hasn't explored much of the yard yet. It was hot yesterday and rainy today but I have no doubt that she will love it. She and Charlie sat at the front gate watching the neighbor kid across the street walking a dog. Patty and Charlie sat side by side, shoulder to shoulder and I suddenly realised that it didn't seem as lonely as if did when Charlie sat there alone. Ollie and Rocco used to sit like that and before Rocco it was Ollie and Mutley and before that Ollie, Mutley and Emily. In fact, the walked dog must of scared Charlie because he bolted up the kitchen stairs and into the house, while Patty Cake just sat there being the princess.... I see a rhinestone studded collar in her future.

She had a touch of diarreah and a bout of vomit, neither of which are alarming. She was full of spit and vinegar this morning and is probably ruling the roost as I write this. And yet, Charlie is enamored. He adores his little sister already and even let her lay on his big pillow. Imagine. He even shares his most favorite toy a big stuffed flamingo that flops about just right as he shakes it.

I even wrote a ditty (though it isn't very good) ahem

Patty Cake Patty Cake
Charlie's girl
Her tail's straight
while his has a curl.


I know... I won't give up my day job.

It's wonderful being a new mother again.

No comments:

Post a Comment