Monday, August 15, 2011

LIfe without Patty

Patty wasn't a part of our family for even a week before we lost her. I tried my best to beat that parvo that had a grip on her. I got water or food down her once every hour. If I fed her too much she would poop copious amounts of blood so I took it slow and easy. I prayed and cried and fought to be optimistic that the little girl would pull through. All to no avail.

And then the so and soh's that I adopted her through, inferred that it was my fault that she died that I didn't follow their adopt8ion rules and I had promised that I would take her to the vet if her symptoms got worse. What? I wouldn't have taken a puppy with symptoms in the first place. I didn't even know that Patty was from the same rescue group as Charlie until it was too late. And the the so and so inferred that Charlie was perfectly healthy when he left their care and I had made him sick or the man who had him before me while my vet told me that Charlie had to have been sick much longer than that to be as sick as he was.

So no new puppy. No little girl to curl in my arms, to give Charlie hell, to brighten our lives. We put her to rest under the tree were all of our fur babies rest and yes, I checked with the vet first. He also says we can get a puppy in two months as long as I keep on bleaching everything.

Losing Patty also opened my eyes to something else, a dynamic in the family that has probably always been there but I didn't see or didn't want to see. I see it now.

Charlie was a bit lost at first when Patty went. He was so solicitous of her, played with her endlessly and was as thrilled with a little sister as I was having a little girl. It doesn't seem to bother Charlie as much but I have noticed that he is growing up. I don't mean just getting bigger but more dog like than puppy. He keeps tripping over his feet like most tweens do but he now has his big boy bark that surprised even him the first couple of times that he used it.

He's still goofy and as smart as can be. When he wants you on his pillow he grabs any part of your clothing that he can reach and drags you there. I thought that was what it meant but , hey, I could always be reading something into it that really wasn't there but he was out in the yard with the older son when older son said he was going to the store. Charlie grabbed the hem of the older son's shorts and led him to the driver's side car door. Yep, it was Charlie language and I am stating to learn it.

He still has what we though would be only puppy fuzz but I suspect he'll always be fuzzy. He loves gummy bears and lollipops and has to attack cheese before he can eat it. We had taken him to the vet just to check him out and there is no sign of theparvo that killed patty. He's on antibiotics just to be on the safe side and I give him that nutri-cal stuff that he had when he was sick, just to keep him healthy. He loves the stuff and it makes it much easier for him to take his pills.

There is only one drawback to Charlie. Thinking about him makes me want to go home and be covered in excited puppy kisses. And if I am quick enough, I can give him a juicy on his bare belly. Besotted is the word for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment