Monday, July 25, 2011

Galumping puppy

When I was going into the 8th grade, we moved out of state and I found myself going to a new school in a new town in a new state. Suddenly I was shy, couldn't wrap my tongue around words if my life depended upon it. I slowly made what I thought was friends till my mother told me that the only reason that they came over the house was because of her, they all liked being around my mother.

Then I went to high school, in the same town but a new school and there I was again, adrift. Again I slowly gathered a collection of friends but this time didn't invite them home often mostly because when they did come over, my mother inserted herself.

Then came a time when I became aware of boys, not that they were aware of me, and my mother, supportive as always, told me they would only want me for two things, my money or my body.

You can imagine how much self esteem I don't have.

Is it any wonder that I love animals the way I do?" That I mourned the passing of Rocco and Ollie.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. The husband and I did our weekly get soda at Walmart run and as we pull into the driveway Oldest son opens the kitchen door and joins Charlie on the porch. I heard Oldest Son telling Charlie that Mommy was home and when I called the puppy's name, he flew down those step and cam galumping down the driveway to me. Galumping is when a dog runs so fast, they stumble over their own feet, do a sommersault and are back on their feet without missing a step. All the while he's running, he's whining and is all over me, when we met. Rocco and Ollie would greet me that way and I missed it so. Of course I burst into tears and scooped up the little fart for a hug.

Later Oldest son told me that he is trying to teach Charlie to recognise the sound of our cars, so that I can be greeted like that all the time. I really need to feel that someone wants to see me, just for me, even if that someone is covered with fur.

And yet Charlie can also break my heart. I notice that when he sleeps his mouth makes little sucking movements much like he would have done when momma fed him. His favorite thing to do with me is to take a finger into his mouth and simply sucks on it. I wonder if he was taken from mom too early. Or do I simply taste good? Whatever,he can suck on my finger as long as he wants as long as he doesn't bite.

I am besotted with this little boy. I'm so lucky to have found him. And now I want to go home, I'm in the office now, and stick my nose in his fur and smell his puppy scent. Luckily the icky puppy breath went away once his stomach was healed. Now he smells like puppy and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment